Guest user

Today's current dance music

4 messages

It's pretty fucking dreadful isn't it?

Every tune in the same genre has the same drum kit, synths and builds.

Regurgitated awfulness is now deriguer - wailing handbag vocals, big room trance stab breakdowns and hardstyle that really is hardcore in it's most pathetic weakened form.

Worst of all to me looking at the scene from the outside it seems just to be "something you do" now with no real scene to talk of - ie. politics, a movement, fashion, what have you.

iain

ps. shut up grandad.

Iain Watson. Sent on .

Iain Watson <(Address removed)> said:

Every tune in the same genre has the same drum kit, synths and builds.

Regurgitated awfulness is now deriguer - wailing handbag vocals, big
room trance stab breakdowns and hardstyle that really is hardcore in
it's most pathetic weakened form.

Worst of all to me looking at the scene from the outside it seems just
to be "something you do" now with no real scene to talk of - ie.
politics, a movement, fashion, what have you.

iain

ps. shut up grandad.

I think there's some amazing music out there, yes it's influenced by the past but that's cool with me especially as a lot of it sounds very early 90's, check out Gilles Peterson on Saturday afternoons on 6 Music, he's still playing loads of amazing fresh electronic music his last show featured Faulty DL, well worth a listen on iPlayer.

How's tricks anyway matey? noticed you left Facebook a while back.

Roo Lee Iain Watson. Sent on .

Iain Watson <(Address removed)> said:

I've always tried not to be one of those people who only listens to old music but this year it's been a real challenge to find anything current that I like.

The whole EDM thing is like the worst Hollywood blockbusters, overly-optimised for a target audience, robotically delivering the elements a crowd expects at the appropriate points and devoid of the rawness or experimentation of the best dance music - or even the campness that could make the commercial nineties cheese fun.

Maybe I'm missing a swathe of good music somewhere, but the genres supposedly for "grown-ups" seem to be either horribly tasteful sludge or sonic experiments devoid of tunes.

2013 I thought was pretty good though...

Stephen H Iain Watson. Sent on .

Hi there,

Ref. this:

The whole EDM thing is like the worst Hollywood blockbusters, overly-
optimised for a target audience, robotically delivering the elements a
crowd expects at the appropriate points and devoid of the rawness or
experimentation of the best dance music

I'm not exactly 'current' anymore but listening to R1's coverage from Ibiza a few weeks ago seemed to be a shitstorm of this EDM stuff - and I agree, it's ghastly.

It sounds like a cynical genetic modification of the malfunctioning remnants of the DNA of trance. It's music for replicants, by replicants (where's Rick Deckard when you need him?)

So consequently, EDM is shit, because Trance is Shit.

Cheers, the bonus.

Bruce Gray Stephen H. Sent on .