Guest user

UK-D Font - Music production software

10 messages

Seems that uk-dance isn't the hive of activity it once was but am hoping that somebody might pick this up. My younger Son Armand is showing a very keen interest in music production and has been using the Mac based 'Garageband' software at his school. Can anybody recommend some similar software that I can put on his home PC. Have been looking at Cubase but not sure if he would be better of starting with something a bit more child friendly.

Cheers
Tonedef

the logical progression from garageband (which is awesome) is "logic" bro.

eventually... he needs to be heading towards ableton... which is gradually becoming the studio production & performance "industry standard" software. (in my experience)

also for additional help make sure he has access to plenty of (diverse) sample packs.

top work dad :)

simon x

simon green <(Address removed)> said:

the logical progression from garageband (which is awesome) is "logic"
bro.

Logic isn't available on the PC though.

Sony do a similar program called ACID Pro. It's a bit more professional than garage band but should be intuitive and simple enough for him to grasp.

Ableton is great and phased Acid out the market a while back. It's as simple or as complicated as you want it to be. My only fear is the initial "WTF" when you first load it up, hence the Acid recommendation. Check both out on Youtube.

As Simon mentioned, I would get loads of loop packs though to keep his interest up and play with. Though the latest version of Ableton comes with loads pre installed.

As a bit of a curveball, have a look at FL Studio. Loads of urban music, da kidz do is written on this and it offers a more visual representation of actual kit than what Ableton does. It is more about making up an looping your own beats and loops from scratch but it does come with a load of packs. Slightly different from any of the other software mentioned but hugely popular.

eventually... he needs to be heading towards ableton... which is
gradually becoming the studio production & performance "industry
standard" software. (in my experience)

Cheers Si and Papa for the advise, he seems quite happy to jump straight in at the deep end so is going to give Ableton Live a go. Looks like the full suite comes jam packed with plenty of loops and samples for him to play around with so will see how it goes.

To change the thread slightly, my elder Son Kanayo went to a party on Saturday and took my 1210's along and a bag full of my tunes (all classics of course) and said he rocked the party above a few other wannabe djs who turned up with their laptops (and a pre arranged set).

Seems the age old analogue versus digital argument still carries on amongst the younger generation.

... or perhaps it was just my tunes that did it :)

Tonedef

simon green <(Address removed)> said:

hahah... chips off the old bloc, good to see :)

one thing grandad.. laptops are a bit last century its mostly about usb
sticks now as pioneer cdj 2000 have rapidly become dj booth "industry
standard" in club land.

so what vinyl did he take out? ultra cool uk-g or your congo natty white
label bollox?

Got to say it's nice turning up to a club with just a usb stick but nothing will ever beat playing vinyl for me.

Tone Def <(Address removed)> said:

Seems that uk-dance isn't the hive of activity it once was but am hoping that somebody might pick this up.
My younger Son Armand is showing a very keen interest in music production and has been using the Mac based 'Garageband' software at his school.
Can anybody recommend some similar software that I can put on his home PC. Have been looking at Cubase but not sure if he would be better of starting with something a bit more child friendly.

Cheers
Tonedef

I have nuendo 6 in my studio but since launching the radio station hardly ever touch it now as the studio is being used for the station most of the time

has been using the Mac based 'Garageband' software at
his school.
Can anybody recommend some similar software that I can put on his home
PC.

it almost pains me to say it but.... fruity loops? it's probably the DAW (digital audio workstation) most like a windows version of garageband - simple for-the-masses interface, easy to get rolling by throwing loops in and so on. which, come to think of it, could very well be the applications whole raison d'etre.

how old is your kid? ableton live is probably a much better program, and not a million miles from garageband in the way it's set up either. but it might be a little farther down the learning curve than fruity loops.