20 May · 20:00 - 23:30
The Picket, 61 Jordan Street (off Jamaica St ), L1 0BW
Strictly hip hop is a night of big beats, spoken word, live music and
creative lyrical content, featuring award winning hip-hop artist Akala (MOBO Award 2006 Best Hip-Hop Artist), the first underground MC to be recognised by MTV with "Banger 4 da streets". Akala draws inspiration from Wu Tang Clan and KRS1, and is known for supporting M.I.A and Aguilera, but now it is all about the prodigious talent of the man himself, who alongside his renowned drummer, Cassell "The Beatmaker" has developed a reputation for stellar live performances. Get ready to be lifted up and blown away by one of the most dynamic, literate and uncompromising talents in UK Hip Hop today.
Back at the WoW for the fourth year running, and representing the newest of the new generation, is The Cipher, featuring Levi 'Evil' Fearon, Chatterbox, Blue Saint, Lina, I the Self, and Robert 'Chalkie' Thompson. WoW Festival and Sound City favourites, The Cipher are setting the tone for all future soundz. Don't miss them.
From Manchester, Blackpool, Lancaster and Morecambe Surreal Knowledge are a 3 piece consisting of Derogatory, Jay Madden and Mr Dick. SK take influence from various forms of music, drawing upon elements of Rock, Jazz, Funk, Soul, R n B and Electro with all the elements of Hip Hop
All the way from The Big Apple, Caktuz and Cavalier will be bringing the beat of the New York Streets to our little old city. Be sure to turn out and give them a welcome to remember.
All ages welcome
Date: Friday 20th May
Venue: The Picket, 61 Jordan Street (off Jamaica St ), L1 0BW
Time: 8 till late
Tickets in advance: £5/£3 under 18’s and concessions
www.writingonthewall.org.uk Tel; 0151 709 3789
Payment on the door £7/£4 under 18’s and concessions
The first 20 Liverpool Sound City wrist bands get free entry - all other wrist band holders £3.
Writing on the Wall: The Cipher:
- http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=93049220465 www.facebook.com (Visit)
- Writing on the Wall | Home www.writingonthewall.org.uk (Visit)
From our sources
- bat020: puts Morsi's amnesty into perspective >> 25 Mubarak officials accused of orchestrating "Battle of the Camels" acquitted http://t.co/CdOdT6um
- bat020: Mitt needs to learn how to count. SAYS THE COUNT. http://t.co/FaMQC03x
- bat020: @domfox @kit_withnail "check" as in "restrain" is the primary meaning I guess. the terminology just serves to encourage m/c narcissism.
- thesvelteone: Off to @BarbicanCentre for Aphex Twin Remote Orchestra. I've seen what I'm supposed to expect, but I'm not sure it's going to be any good...
- Lommination: Pigeon with a knackered wing
- Lommination: Somebody needs to invent a soft drink bottle that stays upright in a shopping bag when going round a corner on public transport