Papa Bendy <(Address removed)> said:
John Graham <(Address removed)> said:
The night life can be ok though. Where were you?
Guangzhou, was there for work so sadly didn't get to see much touristy stuff. Was ok though, people were nice, modern enough buildings but with a 70's under current to them. I don't eat fish so struggled with what else was on offer, chicken heads, deep fried chicken claws etc. Also tried this really sweet sugary soup that came with a boiled egg floating in it.
Was also in Macau, which was a bit crazy, only had 1 night so only saw 2 casinos rather than down town. Say what you want about how tacky the fake streets inside The Venetian are, I was well glad to be finally eating some decent pasta.
Shanghai is probably the nearest thing to New York that I've found, in terms of tall buildings, neon lights, somewhere to go every night, yet a charming mixture of hedonism and wide-eyed consumerism. Rampant growth, they think their time has come and they're probably right.
I'm lucky with the food in that I'm always billeted in Le Royal Meridien, a european Hotel so the food is always a safe mixture of east/west continents. Typing this from the club lounge with an incredible view over the Pudong skyline, something to behold.
It's Sunday night but there's always something on. I'll venture out shortly, there's a grungy Chinese club down in the French Concession where I should get reasonable techno with non-touristy bar prices. Failing that there's always Bar Rouge on the Bund. Pricey and full of pros but great house music with a spectacular terrace view over the river.
What I love about gadding about in Shanghai is that usually clubs are free (occasionally I've been stiffed a tenner at a Renaissance album launch party) and the taxis are almost free - about a tenth of UK cab prices. Consequently you can jaunt off to some club and if it's crap or empty then you've wasted no more that one or two quid for the taxi as you go on to the next one. Drinks are bit more expensive that uk though, but as ever it depends where you are. Illegals have avoided me most of the times I've been here, and given the regime here I've been content with that. Nuff said.
Like London, clubs are time-staggered through the night. Early bars till 1-ish, clubs till 3-ish then late night dives like The Shelter or Velvet until stupid o'clock.
All that and still change from a fiver ;-)
From our sources
- bat020: puts Morsi's amnesty into perspective >> 25 Mubarak officials accused of orchestrating "Battle of the Camels" acquitted http://t.co/CdOdT6um
- bat020: Mitt needs to learn how to count. SAYS THE COUNT. http://t.co/FaMQC03x
- bat020: @domfox @kit_withnail "check" as in "restrain" is the primary meaning I guess. the terminology just serves to encourage m/c narcissism.
- thesvelteone: Off to @BarbicanCentre for Aphex Twin Remote Orchestra. I've seen what I'm supposed to expect, but I'm not sure it's going to be any good...
- Lommination: Pigeon with a knackered wing
- Lommination: Somebody needs to invent a soft drink bottle that stays upright in a shopping bag when going round a corner on public transport