13 years ago (blimey) I retrained as an acupuncturist - and car pooled with a couple of people for the four years of the course. One of them was a plumber, John, 13 years my senior.
His interest was piqued by our clubbing escapades, and a year after we graduated, we invited him to Sankey's with all that entailed.
He turned up at our house dressed for an evening at 'Ritzy's' - shoes, black work style trousers with killer creases, and (gasp) a shirt.
Pretty sure he'd be turned away dressed as was, M loaned him her 'Body and Soul' T shirt - fresh from New York, and I dug out an old pair of trainers.
We headed into town, and despite our protestations to take it easy on the predisco scoops, he'd managed to sink 3 or 4 surruptitious nervous pints.
We made it past the door staff, and were chatting and chilling for about an hour. It soon became clear that John was having a bit of a problem: "standing on the runway.. waiting for take off.. you've got to help me.. I can't get the brake off" [/hawkwind]
So... this pressure cooker of mixed emotions was being dynarodded by Shulgin's finest - and something had to give.
"I just feel really hot.. shakey".. he started to wobble.
"Fuck", I thought, "we're gonna get chucked out here. Better apply rapid cooling"
I frogmarched/supported John on the way to the bogs, and stuck his head under the cold tap for about five minutes.
He came up for air.
"Do that again!"
"That. Feels. Amazing."
"You ok now John?"
"yeah, yeah great."
"Ok - come with us...."
I lost him on the way out of the bogs, and didn't see him again for another hour or so, which I spent looking around the club, worried he'd been kicked.
I next caught sight of him on a podium, handing out ice pops to all and sundry, having the time of his life.
"Everyone's just so friendly" he said, "It's great."
RIP John. You'll be missed.
From our sources
- bat020: puts Morsi's amnesty into perspective >> 25 Mubarak officials accused of orchestrating "Battle of the Camels" acquitted http://t.co/CdOdT6um
- bat020: Mitt needs to learn how to count. SAYS THE COUNT. http://t.co/FaMQC03x
- bat020: @domfox @kit_withnail "check" as in "restrain" is the primary meaning I guess. the terminology just serves to encourage m/c narcissism.
- thesvelteone: Off to @BarbicanCentre for Aphex Twin Remote Orchestra. I've seen what I'm supposed to expect, but I'm not sure it's going to be any good...
- Lommination: Pigeon with a knackered wing
- Lommination: Somebody needs to invent a soft drink bottle that stays upright in a shopping bag when going round a corner on public transport